A must read for anyone seriously interested in Julian Jaynes’s theory.
Essential reading for anyone seriously interested in Julian Jaynes’s theory, the Julian Jaynes Collection includes:
- Discussion of the life of Julian Jaynes.
- All of Jaynes’s relevant articles and lectures for the first time gathered together in one volume.
- Previously unpublished lectures by Julian Jaynes, including “The Dream of Agamemnon,” which extends his theory to dreams and the discovery of time, and “Imagination and the Dance of the Self,” discussing the nature of the self, emotions, and the consequences of consciousness.
- Rare and previously unpublished radio and in-person interviews and in-depth question and answer sessions with Julian Jaynes discussing many aspects of his theory, including: the nature of consciousness, dreams, consciousness in children, cognition in animals, the discovery of time, the nature of the self, the mentality of tribes, emotions, art, music, poetry, prophecy, mental illness, therapy, the consequences and future of consciousness, brain hemisphere differences, vestiges of the bicameral mind, and much more. In these interviews and discussions, Jaynes addresses nearly every question one might have about his theory. This is the closest one can come to having a personal conversation with Julian Jaynes.
- A 22-page Introduction by Marcel Kuijsten discussing Jaynes’s influence and the latest new evidence for his theory.
From the back cover of The Julian Jaynes Collection
“Julian Jaynes’s theories for the nature of self-awareness, introspection, and consciousness have replaced the assumption of their almost ethereal uniqueness with explanations that could initiate the next change in paradigm for human thought.” — Michael Persinger, in Reflections on the Dawn of Consciousness
“… A theory that could alter our view of consciousness, revise our conception of the history of mankind, and lay bare the human dilemma in all its existential wonder.” — James E. Morriss, in ETC: A Review of General Semantics
“Some of Jaynes’s original ideas may be the most important of our generation.” — Ernest Rossi, in Psychological Perspectives
“Neuroimaging techniques of today have illuminated and confirmed the importance of Jaynes’s hypothesis.” — Robert Olin in Lancet
“… One of the clearest and most perspicuous defenses of the top-down approach [to consciousness] that I have ever come across.” — Daniel Dennett, in Brainchildren
Order Your Copy
The Julian Jaynes Collection is also available from Amazon in the following countries:
Germany (also serving many EU countries)
The Julian Jaynes Collection is also available via special order wherever books are sold, both in the U.S. and internationally.